Over the last few years, Nozey Parkers have been receiving more and more calls from business owners, asking for help. They are working really long hours, they have lost their focus, and their personal relationships are suffering.
They feel they’re on a treadmill and their business has become a burden. They‘ve lost that passion. Does this sound familiar?
Perhaps it’s you who’s fallen out of love with your business?
Think myself, as the ‘Relate’, or marriage guidance, of the business world – I’m here to reconnect you with your business and help you, and your business, thrive again.
I want you to close your eyes, just for a few moments, and think back to when you first had that idea of starting your own business.
You‘re the boss. You can take time off when you want and work the hours that suit you. You have control over your future.
Can you remember?
Can you feel that excitement… the enthusiasm?
It feels good, doesn’t it?
Of course it was a little scary, but you had made that decision and your business was born.
Those early days are exhilarating. Every day is a new experience with a steep learning curve – from identifying your customer and client base,
understanding regulations, and setting up supply chains,
to the sales, networking, and digital and social media skills you acquire.
You don’t mind putting the hours in, because you love your business.
It’s a bit like a new relationship, where you put in loads of effort. You have that drive and passion for the new business. But it’s all too easy to let the passion slide.
Almost 30 years’ experience has shown us that problems start when people work ‘in’ the business rather than ‘on’ their business.
What do I mean by that? Let me highlight some of the danger signs:
- You’re trying to do too much and take on too many roles.
- You no longer have the time to ensure customers are happy.
- You aren’t following your business plan.
- You haven’t enough cash to pay your suppliers and your team isn’t motivated.
- You’re work long hours, just fire-fighting.
- Your business feels like a chore.
- You’re putting things off and would rather surf the net than sort out that IT problem.
You are so engrossed ‘in’ your business, you can’t escape the chaos and take your business forward. And you need help.
This help could be in the form of a business advisor, like myself, or an HR, sales or marketing specialist.
Getting outside help can channel you in the right direction. Someone else can do the work you don’t like doing, or which takes up too much time.
This gives you more time to do the things you love and you’re good at, as well as time to work ‘on’ the business.
Talking to a business advisor will remind you ‘why’ you’re in business, who you help, and explore new direction, goods and services.
You loved your business when you started so you can love it again.
Here are my top tips to help you fall in love with your business again:
- Examine your life. Look at a typical day, week and month. Work out where you’re spending your time and money. What’s important to you? Get the balance right between your work and personal life. Gain some control and direction.
- Put good systems, processes and procedures in place. This frees up your time and helps other to share the workload. Tasks can take half the time with the right processes in place. I’ve helped many businesses by streamlining their infrastructure, which in turn takes away the feeling of being overwhelmed and out of control.
- Follow your business plan, ensure you track customer and staff satisfaction, don’t procrastinate, and look after your cash flow.
- Make time every day to remind yourself why you started your business. List what it gives you in terms of satisfaction and freedom. Think of this as spending important ‘quality time’ with your business!
- Create good support networks within your team, professional groups, friends and family. Running your own business can be lonely, but it shouldn’t be, and having this support can make the difference to help you succeed.
If you have lost that loving feeling and you would like some help to rekindle that passion, then I would love to hear from you.
We help business owners relax in the knowledge that their business is running efficiently and profitably, and their staff are motivated and driven.
Watch our You Tube channel for video blogs to help your company grow and go to nozeyparkers.co.uk for our full range of business services and client testimonials.